So it’s been awhile since I’ve blogged and I figured I would just dive right in. Writing is an excellent creative outlet, and with the end of summer it’s time to get back into some good habits.
I love September.
I love October.
I love November.
I love the fall.
So considering today is the first OFFICIAL day of fall, I’ve put together a compliation of autumn-y things that must be on your brain this upcoming season. To keep things simple, I’ve divided things into the following categories.
- Generic seasonal things
Got it? Cool! Here we go:
This is probably my personal favorite category considering I eat all the time. At least six times a day. Don’t we all?
- One of the best parts of the fall is all of the seasonal foods that make their way back into our grocery stores and into our stomachs. I am a huge advocate for stereotypical treats such as candy corn, candy corn pumpkins, and caramel apple suckers. So make sure you add those to your shopping list and get them in a bowl on the counter for everyone to enjoy!
- Something that is a major winner amongst all basic lovers in regards to the fall foods category, is the coveted Pumpkin Spice Latte. Personally, I can’t stand it. SHOCKING, I know, but if you’re like me and you find the PSL to be slightly overrated, grab yourself a salted caramel mocha instead. It’s warm and delicious and the salty sweetness in the coffee makes you feel totally cozy. Now you can go to Starbucks with the gang and not feel totally left out for your lack of PSL love.
- For those drinkers out there, here’s a warm beverage that will keep you toasty while all of those trick or treaters come to ring your doorbell. Make yourself a simple hot chocolate, but toss in a shot of marshmallow vodka, and a dash of cinnamon. Not only is it s’more-esque to keep that summer feeling going, but it’s delicious! You can also make yourself a hot apple cider with a little bit of Fireball if you’re feeling particularly spicy. Enjoy!
- I love trail mix. For a Halloween version, I found this one on Pinterest and LOVED it so check it out and go crazy! http://www.thehouseofhendrix.com/harvest-halloween-trail-mix/
I LOVE FALL CLOTHES. This is by far the best season of the year when it comes to fashion. I’m no expert, but these are the things that I continue to obsess over each September.
- Scarves. Duh. This is may be the most basic of them all, but really, can you go wrong with a good pair of jeans, simple sweater or tee and a comfy scarf? No. You can’t. I personally love H&M’s, so here’s a link to what they’ve got going on in the scarf department: H&M Scarves. They’re even having a sale so go go go!
- Sweaters. Obviously I’m going to mention sweaters. I can’t think of a single human being that does not like to wear a good sweater or cardigan. I love to throw on a big oversized sweater with my favorite pair of leggings and go. Forever 21 has so many this time of year, and they’re great for a simple look. I probably own 900 cardigans as well. These are perfect for making a basic tee just a little bit dressier, or adding comfort and warmth to your favorite once-summer-now-fall style.
- Flannels. Yet another basic fall staple, but I just can’t get enough. They’re unbelievably cozy. I tend to check out the mens section at Target, thrift stores, or over at TJMaxx.
- Socks. People, if you don’t have an extensive sock collection like myself, you are really missing out. I am sock crazy. Tall ones, short ones, fuzzy ones, embellished ones, etc. etc. etc. I love taking a pair of shorts and a funky blouse and instantly making it cool weather appropriate with some over the knee socks.
- Tights. Big, BIG fan of tights. I have so many dresses and skirts and shorts that I love in the summer and the best way to instantly transfer them over into the next season is with a good pair of tights. I tend to keep all of the usual suspects, gray, black and navy in my drawer, but I also have a pair of maroon ones that I got last year at Macy’s that changed my life.
- Leggings. Standard. Every girl on this planet owns a pair of leggings. I think I own a million. I can’t say that I have a favorite brand because I tend to like them all, but leggings are what’s good during the cooler months. Black, navy, gray, maroon, patterned, textured, fuzzy, etc. They all make me happy.
- Boots. I have more pairs of boots than I should, but it’s because they can change an outfit in an instant. My favorites this season are brown and black and wine colored booties, tall brown boots, black and gray fuzzy boots, and short black cowboy-esque boots. Honestly, you could be wearing leggings and a t-shirt but adding boots just gives you immediate style.
So last year I did a post entitled Nine Things you Should be Watching This Halloween (feel free to give it a read), but I’m going to add to it with a few of the recent spooky additions to this years line-up.
- Scream Queens. Ryan Murphy can do no wrong! This premiered last night and I loved every second. It was light-hearted and witty with a performance by Emma Roberts that is incomparable. Plus you’ve got the original scream queen, Jamie Lee Curtis, so it is definitely a must-see. You can catch it on Fox, Tuesday nights at 8pm EST.
- Goosebumps. My inner child is freaking out with the upcoming release of R.L Stine’s classic tales. I read the books and watched the show. While I’m excited about the general concept of the movie and am tickled pink about Jack Black starring, the preview seems cheesy and laughable. I think this will be a movie where you’ll either love it, or hate it. Watch the trailer here and see for yourself!
- Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension. In my last post I mentioned the Paranormal Activity series as well, but with this upcoming release, I figured it should get a second mention. I am looking forward to seeing this and figuring out how on earth they can continue with these characters, Katie and Kristi. This one is about a new family who move into a house and discover a video camera and a box of tapes in the garage. When they look through the camera’s lens, they begin to see the paranormal activity happening around them. What makes this one different is the fact that you’ll be able to see the paranormal. Decide for yourself (by watching this new preview) if you’ll make your way to the theater for the sixth installment.
GENERIC SEASONAL THINGS
These are things you need to surround yourself with in order to feel super seasonal.
- Pumpkins. They’re like $2 at the grocery store, or you can be super festive and go to a pumpkin patch! Get yourself a pumpkin, grab some friends and family and have a carving party! Save the seeds; clean them up, roll them in some seasoned salt and bake them in the oven for a perfect afternoon pick-me-up.
- Candles. Big fan. Seriously, I have dozens in my room. Fall scented candles are the best and they immediately make a room feel cozy and warm. I love Yankee Candle as well as Bath & Body Works candles. They last forever and don’t smell too overpowering. I love a simple vanilla scent paired with a salty caramel candle. I also have two new faves called Flannel and Sweater Weather. If you’re not a candle fan but like your rooms to smell nice, pick up a plug-in and go with the scent Cashmere Woods by Glade. It’s a gorgeous scent that makes you want to curl up with a good book next to a glowing fire. Standard.
- Leaves. Go rake them. Go play in them. I don’t know about you, but I will always go out of my way to step on a freshly fallen crunchy leaf.
- Haunted Houses. These are EVERYWHERE around Halloween. Haunted houses, haunted mazes, haunted hotels and more. Grab a group of friends and go get scared. These are a perfect for a night out or even a date. It makes for great laughs and a lot of screams! Which of your friends can go the longest without getting scared?
That’s all. For now.
Phew, we made it. If you’re still here, thanks for hanging in there.
Hope all of these things that I love about autumn inspire you to stay basic and enjoy the wonderfulness that is the fall.
Hard to believe that October is so close! As for September? So far, so good.